Places to eat
These are our recommendations for places to eat. We have found over time that these places do what we expect, but unfortunately we can't guarantee the day to day quality.
Places to eat nearby
- The Royal Hotel in Dockray, which is a combination of a restaurant and pub.
- Troutbeck Inn which is a restaurant with consistent very good feedback. It is often necessary to prebook there.
- The Herdwick, which is the most traditional pub. It has recently changed owners, so we have not got much feedback from our guests yet.
Special places to eat
- George and Dragon in Clifton. In their own words 'When you visit the George and Dragon in Cumbria, you can enjoy a pint of local ale, relax with a glass of fine wine and indulge in the Lowther produce, feeling that you’re somewhere rather unique'.
- Four & Twenty in Penrith. A relatively new restaurant with refreshing menu and good atmosphere.
- Cottage in the Woods inWhinlatter Forest.'Stunning views, local Herdwick hogget, bold cooking – it's almost enough to make a man take up hill walking' Jay Rayner. The Observer. Sunday 21st October 2012.
- Sharrow Bay by Ullswater. With an afternoon tea to die for in an absolutely stunning location. Early reservation recommended.
The Royal Hotel
George and Dragon
Cottage in the Wood